October 13, 2015

My Co-Workers Are Killin Me

It's funny how we all remember things differently.

About this time last year, 
I was ending things with a long-time love.

Something I'm trying not to think about
but it was just brought up to me.

Fun/surprising fact about me: I'm not a sharer. 
Especially at work.
Why would I tell my co-workers about my heart-break?

It was one of the most painful & depressing points in my life -
 no one actually wants to hear about that.
Including co-workers. Even though they are pretty nosey...

So, it was bound to happen.
And it happened at a department lunch.
Because that's the best time to tell people news like that.
Right?

There were about six of us sitting at a sushi restaurant,
 talking about our boss who just announced she was leaving.

Someone either asked if anything else big was happening
or asked about my relationship.
I guess I've blocked it out of my mind or my
memory really does suck that much.

Either way, I said,
"Oh yeah, we broke up."

Very nonchalant. 
Like it was NBD.

That's when everyone freaked.
Especially the guy next to me who
always knew everything before everyone else.
Except this.

That reaction at least gave me a good laugh.

I try not to think about this time last year
but a lovely co-worker reminded me of it today.

"Just reminiscing about last year. We were talking about
my bday lunch."

As soon as he said that, I knew where he was going
and what he wanted to say.

"Remember when you dropped that bomb on us?!"

He didn't actually say that last part
but I called him out for bringing up a horrible
time in my life.

To which he asked about my current boyfriend.
Oh co-workers.

And even though this co-worker likes to torture me
with the ridiculousness of my past, 
they all really helped me get through a shitty life patch.

I'm lucky to say my department consists of
good friends - not just people I have to talk to.

So, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment